Learn the Various FASTag Charges - How Do They Work?
HDFC Bank FASTag Prepaid Card in partnership with the National Electronic Toll Collection (NETC) initiative, is aimed at enabling travellers to pass through toll plazas seamlessly. With FASTag, users can cross toll booths without stopping to pay cash. To make headway towards a system wherein the totality of toll collection happens through FASTag, the government has made it mandatory for all vehicles to have a FASTag from 16th Februar, 2021, without which you will need to pay double the toll amount.
How does it work?
It is simple. Once you issue the HDFC Bank FASTag, use it like any other prepaid card. The amount loaded in the wallet is linked to your FASTag number. Users need to display the tag number on the vehicle’s windshield screen. Using Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) technology, every time the car crosses a toll booth, the system captures the tag number and deducts appropriate toll charges from your FASTag wallet.
You can read more on how FASTag works here.
What are the charges for FASTag?
The charges for FASTag activation are nominal. However, there are three kinds of FASTag charges of which a user should be aware-
1. Tag Joining Fee – A one-time charge levied only the first time for registration as a FASTag User. This charge is applicable once to initiate and activate the Tag for your vehicle. The current fee is Rs. 100 including applicable taxes.
2. Security Deposit – A negligible amount is taken as a security deposit which is fully refundable against no dues at the closure of the account. The amount varies depending on your vehicle class. In case of insufficient funds in your Tag account, the security deposit might be used by banks to adjust any outstanding toll charges.
3. Threshold Amount – The threshold amount is nothing but the minimum recharge amount applicable at the time of Tag activation. This amount will be fully available on your Tag account to pay for any toll charges immediately upon tag activation. The threshold amount depends on the vehicle class.
The details of the current security deposit and threshold amount charges are elaborated below :
NPCI Vehicle Class
Security Deposit (in Rs.)
Threshold Amount (in Rs.)
Car / Jeep / Van / Tata Ace and Similar mini Light Commercial Vehicle
Light Commercial vehicle 2-axle
Bus– 3 axle
Truck - 3 axle
Bus 2 axle / Mini bus, Truck 2 axle
Tractor / Tractor with trailer, Truck 4, 5 & 6 -axle
Truck 7-axle and above
Earth Moving / Heavy Construction Machinery
FASTag Charges Terms and Conditions Applicable:
1. GST applies to all the charges mentioned above.
2. Online recharge may attract negligible convenience fees. Convenience fees on using a credit card are 1.10% of the transaction value, the debit card is 1% of the transaction value, and NetBanking is Rs. 8.00 per transaction. The charges may be revised from time-to-time.
3. Charges mentioned above are subject to change.
4. Toll amounts deducted from the account, depending on the vehicle class and the toll plaza used.
How to reload/recharge your HDFC Bank NETC FASTag wallet
You can reload/recharge your card using the following convenient methods:
STEP 1: Log in to your PayZapp account and click on “Recharge/Bill Pay” tab
STEP 2: Under “Utility/Bill Pay” module click on “FASTag” icon
STEP 3: Select “HDFC Bank FASTag” option, then enter your Vehicle Registration No. (or) Wallet ID and click on “CONFIRM” tab
STEP 4: The screen will update your current wallet balance, maximum recharge amount with customer details like name and vehicle registration no.
Input the recharge amount (within the limit of “Maximum recharge amount”). Select the payment option and complete the transaction.
Via UPI Application:
(Via PayZapp, Google Pay, Amazon Pay, Phone Pe or any ‘UPI’ Applications)
STEP 1: Open any UPI application
STEP 2: Click on Pay by UPI ID and enter the VPA
STEP3: Enter the pre-defined VPA for HDFC Bank NETC FASTag Recharge (eg: netc.MH12AB1234@hdfcbank)
Via HDFC Bank NETC FASTag Website:
Visit portal > Recharge icon > Select Record (Wallet ID) > Enter amount & proceed
Visit portal > Quick Recharge tab > Enter VRN, Mobile no. and amount > Enter OTP and make payment
Note: Your FASTag wallet login credentials for online portal cannot be used to recharge FASTag for others.
Via HDFC Bank MobileBanking:
STEP 1: Log in to your HDFC Bank MobileBanking. Click on “Pay” module
STEP 2: click on “ADD BILLER” tab to provide your vehicle details.
STEP 3: Click on “FASTag” icon
STEP 4: From the drop-down list, Select “HDFC Bank FASTag” and input details such as your Vehicle Registration Number, your Wallet ID No. and update the Biller Name (for your future reference) and click on “CONTINUE” tab
STEP 5: Check the details provided by you, add a tick mark on T&C box and click on the “CONFIRM” tab. On your confirmation, the Biller will get added to your biller list, completing the one-time process of updating the details about your vehicle activity.
STEP 6: To recharge/reload your wallet, please click on the added biller name
STEP 7: Check the vehicle no. and wallet details and enter the recharge amount. Select the payment option from the dropdown list at “Pay From” field and click on “PAY” to complete the payment journey
Via HDFC Bank NetBanking:
STEP 1: Log in to HDFC Bank NetBanking. Under “BillPay & Recharge” module click on the “Continue” tab.
STEP 2: Under “Pay” module click on the “FASTag” icon
STEP 3: Select “HDFC Bank FASTag” option, then enter your Vehicle Registration No. (or) Wallet ID and click on “Pay” tab
STEP 4: The screen will display your current wallet balance, maximum recharge amount along with customer details like Name and Vehicle Registration No.
STEP 5: Under “Payment Amount” field input the recharge amount (within the limit of “Maximum recharge amount”) then, select the payment option and complete the transaction
The benefits of FASTag are numerous
1. Hassle-free Driving: Wth FASTag, the RFID automatically scans the tag number and deducts appropriate toll charges from the account. Users can save time and fuel and instead drive hassle-free without frequent stops at toll plazas.
2. Convenient: FASTag users can activate SMS/ e-mail communication to stay updated on toll deductions and check balance on the Wallet. Recharge facilities are available online, and FASTag charges are minimal. Users can also access the web portal to track their FASTag toll charges statements.
3. Earn Cashbacks: - With FASTag, users can earn 2.5% CashBack on all transactions made at National Highways.
Join FASTag and pass through toll gates without the need to stop or fumble for cash. With negligible charges for FASTag, HDFC Bank, in partnership with NETC, strives to ease travel across state and national highways.
Know How to check fastag balance online in 4 simple steps
*The charges mentioned above are subject to change. Please connect with the HDFC Bank team to know the latest information. Terms & conditions apply. The information provided in this article is generic in nature and for informational purposes only. It is not a substitute for specific advice in your own circumstances.