Regular Savings Account
A savings account designed to meet your day to day banking needs while giving you 24X7 access to your bank.
Apply now for an HDFC Bank Regular Savings Account.
- Wide network of branches and ATMs to meet all your banking needs, no matter where you are located
- Select from our range of International Debit cards as per your needs and avail a range of benefits
- Take advantage of exclusive discounts & offers through our online shopping portal www.smartbuy.hdfcbank.com
- Use NetBanking, BillPay, PhoneBanking and MobileBanking for all your banking needs
- Annual Maintenance Charge (AMC) waived off for the first year for the first new Demat account
- Avail of facilities like Safe Deposit Lockers, Sweep-In and Super Saver facilities on your Regular Savings Account
Looking for NRI Savings Account ? Click Here
Compare Regular Savings Account
Compare and see which account suits you perfectly.
Average Monthly Balance Calculator
Click here to calculate the Average Monthly Balance (AMB) required to be maintained in your account.
What are the features and benefits of a Regular Savings Account?
You will get some exclusive features and benefits with your HDFC Bank Regular Saving Account
- Wide network of branches and over 11000 ATMs to meet all your banking needs, no matter where you are located.
- Bank conveniently with facilities like NetBanking, PhoneBanking and MobileBanking – check your account balance, pay utility bills or stop cheque payments all via SMS.
- Never overspend – shop using your International Debit Card that reflects the actual balance in your savings account.
- Personalised cheques with your name printed on each cheque leaf for enhanced security.
- Take advantage of BillPay – an instant solution so you can pay all your frequent utility bill payments. Instruct for payments over the phone or through the Internet.
- Avail of facilities like Safe Deposit Lockers, Sweep-In and Super Saver facilities on your account.
- Free cash withdrawals at any other Bank's ATMs*
- Free Payable-at-ParThis means you only have to pay the amount written on the cheque and not the service charges that might otherwise be charged to you, especially when you send a cheque to someone out of your city or country. chequebook, without any usage charges.
- Free passbook facility for all account holders (individuals)
- Free Email Statement facility.
* Conditions Apply
What are the eligibility criteria to open a Regular Savings Account?
Get details on eligibility criteria & documents required for HDFC Bank Regular Savings Account
A Regular Savings Account is for anyone who is a:
- A resident individual (sole or joint account)
- A Hindu undivided family
- A foreign national
If you are a foreign national, you have to be residing in India for a period greater than 180 days and you have to provide us with:
- A valid passport
- A valid Visa
- FRRO (Foreign Regional Registration Office) Certificate
- Residential permit
Minimum Balance Requirement
- A minimum deposit of Rs. 10,000 (metro/urban branches), Rs. 5000 (semi-urban/rural branches) is required to open an account and thereafter an average monthly balance of the same amount has to be maintained.
- Please note: It is mandatory to maintain a minimum average monthly balance (AMB) of Rs. 10,000 (metro/urban branches), Rs. 5000 (semi-urban/rural branches). If the balance is not maintained, the following service charges will be levied:
- For urban/metro branches: If AMB in the account is between Rs 5,000 to Rs 10,000, a charge of Rs 250/- per month would be levied. If AMB is less than Rs 5,000, a charge of Rs 350/- per month would be levied.
- Semi urban/rural: If AMB in the account is between Rs 2,500 to Rs 5,000, a charge of Rs 250/- per month would be levied. If AMB is less than Rs 2,500, a charge of Rs 350/- per month would be levied.
What are the fees and charges of Regular Savings Account ?
Enclosed below are HDFC Bank Regular Savings Account fees and charges
|Description of Charges||Regular Savings Account|
|Minimum Balance - Average Monthly Balance (AMB)||Rs. 10,000 (Metro / Urban branches),
Rs. 5, 000 (Semi-Urban / Rural branches)
|Charges applicable on non-maintenance||For urban/metro branches:
- If AMB* in the account is between Rs 5,000 to Rs 10,000, a charge of Rs 250/- per month would be levied.
- If AMB* is less than Rs 5,000, a charge of Rs 350/- per month would be levied.
- If AMB* in the account is between Rs 2,500 to Rs 5,000, a charge of Rs 250/- per month would be levied.
- If AMB* is less than Rs 2,500, a charge of Rs 350/- per month would be levied.
*As per RBI circular inoperative accounts would not be charged for non-maintenance of minimum balances. Inoperative accounts are those where there has been no txn in last 2 years.
|Cheque book||Free - 25 cheque leaves per calendar quarter
Additional chequebook of 25 leaves will be charged @ Rs 50/- per chequebook
|PAP cheque book usage charges||No charges|
|Issue of duplicate/adhoc statements||Branch - Rs 100/-
PhoneBanking ( Non IVRInteractive voice response (IVR) is a technology that allows a computer to interact with humans through the use of voice and keypad inputs.) - Rs.75/-
NetBanking, Mobile Banking, PhoneBanking - IVRInteractive voice response (IVR) is a technology that allows a computer to interact with humans through the use of voice and keypad inputs. & ATM - Rs 50/-
For Senior Citizen
Branch - Rs 50/- per statement
• PhoneBanking ( Non IVRInteractive voice response (IVR) is a technology that allows a computer to interact with humans through the use of voice and keypad inputs.) - Rs.50/- per statement
• NetBanking , MobileBanking, PhoneBanking – IVRInteractive voice response (IVR) is a technology that allows a computer to interact with humans through the use of voice and keypad inputs. & ATM - Rs 30/- per statement
( w.e.f 1st July'13 )
|Hold statement||Rs. 400 per year|
|Duplicate passbook issuance*||Rs 100/-|
|Managers cheques/demand drafts- Issuance/re-issuance - At HDFC Bank locations||
|Managers cheque/demand drafts - Cancellation/revalidation||Rs. 50
Rs. 40 (senior citizens/individuals in rural areas)
( Nil charges for Managers cheque/demand drafts - Cancellation/revalidation up to Rs.100/-)
( w.e.f 1st July'13 )
|Demand drafts issued - At non HDFC Bank locations||
|Cheque collection - Local clearing zone||Free|
|Collection of outstation cheques - our bank locations||
|Collection of outstation cheques - Other locations||
|Cheque return charges drawn on us - Local||
|Cheques deposited returned unpaid||Charge of Rs 100/- per instance would be levied|
|Balance enquiry - At branch||Free|
|Balance certificate||Current year - Free; previous year - Rs. 50|
|Interest certificate||Rs. 50|
|Account closure||Upto 14 days - Nil
15 days upto 12 months - Rs 500/- ( Rs 300/- for Senior Citizens)
Beyond 12 months - Nil
( w.e.f 1st July'13 )
|Photo attestation||Rs 100/- per instance ( Nil for Senior Citizens )
( w.e.f 1st July'13 )
|Address confirmation||Rs 50/- per instance|
|Stop payment ( request from customer not to honour cheque issued ) charges||Particular cheque - Rs. 50 (Free through Phonebanking and NetBanking), range of cheques - Rs. 100 (free through Phonebanking and Net banking)|
|Standing instructions||Rs. 25 per transcation plus remittanceRemittance is any form of money transfer or payment done from one's working country to home country. Depending on the difference in currency rates and the amount to be transferred, the charges on remittance are also different. charge ( w.e.f 1st July'13 )|
|Unarranged overdraft||Rs. 100 per occasion + 18% interest pa|
|Old records/copy of paid cheques||Upto 1 year - Rs. 50 per record; above 1 year - Rs. 100 per record|
|Activation of dormant account||No charges|
|Branch transactions (includes only cheque deposit/cheque issuance/funds transfer debit/NEFT/RTGS)||
|Cash transactions (Cash deposits & withdrawals) by self at home & Non-home branches
Value Cap will be applicable along with Number Cap on Cash Txns on Non Home branch
|Cash transactions (Cash deposits & withdrawals) by self at home & Non-home branches||
|Cash handling for cash deposit at home branch||For non-managed customers
- Cash deposit value upto Rs 1 lakh/day - No charge
- Above Rs 1 lakh - Rs 25/- per Rs 50,000 or part thereof.
Charge will be levied for the full amount.
|Third Party Transactions at Home & Non - Home branch||
|Local cheque deposited for outstation accounts||No charge|
|PhoneBanking - IVRInteractive voice response (IVR) is a technology that allows a computer to interact with humans through the use of voice and keypad inputs.||Free|
|PhoneBanking - Non IVRInteractive voice response (IVR) is a technology that allows a computer to interact with humans through the use of voice and keypad inputs.||
|ATM card - Replacement charges||Rs. 200 (plus taxes) (w.e.f 1st Dec'14)|
|Debit Card - Annual Fee - Regular||Rs. 100 per year (plus taxes)|
|Debit Card - Annual Fee - Women's Card||Rs.100 per year (plus taxes)|
|Debit Card - Annual Fee – Platinum||Rs. 500 per year (plus taxes)|
|Debit Card - Renewal Fee – Platinum||Rs. 500 per year (plus taxes)|
|Debit Card - Renewal Fee - Regular||Rs. 100 per year (plus taxes)|
|Debit Card - Renewal Fee - Women's Card||Rs.100 per year (plus taxes)|
|Debit Card - Replacement charges||Replacement of a damaged card - No charges & Replacement of a lost card - Rs. 200 (plus taxes) (for all card types) (w.e.f 1st Dec'14)|
|ATM / Debit Card Card - Transaction Charge||
|Debit Card - Transaction charge - non HDFC Bank international ATMs||Rs. 15 per balance enquiry & Rs. 110 per cash withdrawal (plus taxes)
The Bank will charge cross-currency mark-up of 3.5% on foreign currency transactions carried out on Debit Cards. The exchange rate used will be the VISA/Master Card wholesale exchange rate prevailing at the time of transaction
|PIN regeneration charge||Rs. 50 (plus taxes)|
|Decline charge for insufficient balance||Transactions declined at other bank ATMs anywhere in the world or at a merchant outlet outside India due to insufficient funds will be charged at Rs. 25 per transaction (plus taxes)|
|Add-on debit card - Regular||Rs. 100 per year (plus taxes) - One add-on card free for the first year|
|Add-on debit card - Women's Card||Rs.100 per year (plus taxes)|
|BillPay||This service is free w.e.f 1st August'2011|
|InstaPay||Rs. 10 (plus taxes) per transaction|
|InstaAlert||Rs.15 per quarter, effective 1st April 2013 (excl of tax)
Customers who have selected only"Email" as the delivery channel for receiving InstaAlerts will not be charged
|Visa Money Transfer||Rs. 5 (plus taxes) per transaction|
|NEFT Charges - Inward||NIL|
|NEFT Charges- outward||
|NEFT Charges for Indo-Nepal transactions||Customers having NSBL*A/c - Rs 20/-
Customers having non-NSBL* A/c:
Upto Rs 5,000 - Rs 70/-
Above Rs 5,000 - Rs 95/-
* Nepal State Bank Ltd
|RTGS - Outward||RTGS - Outward:
Above Rs. 2 Lakh to 5 Lakh - Rs. 25 (inclusive of taxes) per transaction
Above Rs 5 Lakh - Rs. 50 (inclusive of taxes) per transaction
|RTGS - Inward||NIL|
|IMPS (Immediate Payment Service) – Outward
Charges effective 10th May-14
|IMPS (Immediate Payment Service) - Inward||NIL|
|ECS (Debit) Return Charges||- Rs 350/- would be levied on first instance of ECSStands for Electronic Clearing Service. It is a mode by which funds are automatically debited to your account every month to pay or a certain bill or fee. It helps so you don’t have to remember every month to pay your regular bills. It is only done after a standing instruction is given by the account holder. return in a quarter.
- Rs 750/- would be levied, second instance onwards in the same quarter.
|Any deliverable returned by courier due to negative reasons (no such consignee/consignee shifted and no such address)||Rs 50/- per instance|
|TIN/IPIN re-generation (requests received at the branch for physical dispatch)||Rs 50/- per instance|
|Standing Instruction rejects||Rs 200/- per instance|
Click here to view charges applicable effective 1st September 2013
*At home branch for account holders (individuals)
Note : Service/Transaction charges will be applied in the current month based on the AMB maintianed in the account in the previous month
Service/Transaction charges based on non - maintainence of AMB (as specified above) do not apply to Preferred , Corporate Salary & SuperSaver customers
The PhoneBanking charges will apply on transaction that are available on the IVRInteractive voice response (IVR) is a technology that allows a computer to interact with humans through the use of voice and keypad inputs. but are done through the PhoneBanking Executive
Effective 1st April 2012, all fees and charges, mentioned in the Tariff of charges, will attract Service Tax @12% and Education Cess @3% of the Service Tax amount.
Would you like to apply now for a Regular Savings Account?
To open a Regular Savings Account you just have to follow either of the two procedures mentioned below:
- Request one of our bank representatives to contact you.Click Here to fill in your contact details.
- Download an application form. Account Opening Form (Individuals) After you download the form, follow these steps:
- Print and complete the application form
- Submit the form and the required documents at any of our branches. Click here to find a branch near you.
For documents submitted at the branch, please give us a week to respond to your application.
What is the time taken to realize outstation cheques?
The indicative time taken for the realization of outstation cheques is given below:
- Cheques drawn where HDFC Bank has a branch, credit will be given on receipt of clear funds in:
- Main metro locations (Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata, New Delhi): 7 working days
- Metro centers and state capitals (other than those of North Eastern states and Sikkim): Maximum period of 10 working days.
- In all other centres where we have branches: maximum period of 14 working days.
- Cheques drawn on non-branch locations where we have a tie-up with correspondent banks, credit will be given on receipt of clear funds: Within a maximum period of 14 working days
- Cheques drawn on non-branch locations where we do not have a tie-up with correspondent banks, credit will be given on receipt of clear funds: Within a maximum period of 14 working days
What is the procedure to add applicants to your Saving Accounts?
To add an applicant to your savings account, kindly follow the steps below:
- Submit a letter to the branch specifying that you would like to add another applicant to your existing account (mention the name of the applicant in the letter) and sign the letter (all existing applicants must sign)
- Submit a completely filled fresh account opening form available at all HDFC Bank branches. The account opening form should contain a photograph of new applicant (to be added in existing account)
- The account opening form should contain specimen signatures of all existing applicants, including the new applicant (to be added in existing account)
- Submit a proof of identification of the new applicant (provided the applicant does not have any other account with Bank)
- Submit an address proof of the new applicant
All the existing applicants in your account are required to be physically present at the branch, along with the new applicant. As soon as the form and other documents are received and found to be in order, the name will be added to the account within 7 working days, provided no exceptions are found. This will be followed up with the deliverables, as requested at the time of name addition.
For more details, Contact Us
How is the average monthly balance (AMB) calculated?
The AMB is average monthly balance which is worked out on a calendar month. This is the average of the closing credit balance in the account at the end of each day during the calendar month (i.e. a total of the daily closing credit balance divided by the total number of days in the month). If this average is less than the average monthly balance requirement, the charges for non-maintenance will be levied at the beginning of the following month along with the Service Tax and Education Cess at the applicable rates.
For complete details on charges for non-maintenance of AMB Click here
What are the charges levied on your account if the required average monthly balance (AMB) has not been maintained?
If your Average Monthly Balance (AMB) has not been maintained in the previous month, please click here for more details regarding the charges applicable for transactions on the savings account.
Please refer to the following options to know the type of charges levied in your account:
- Cheque Book
- Cheque return charges drawn on us - Local
- Cheques deposited - outward
- Branch transactions
- PhoneBanking - Non IVRInteractive voice response (IVR) is a technology that allows a computer to interact with humans through the use of voice and keypad inputs.
- Debit Card - Transaction Charge - HDFC Bank ATM's
As per the Finance Bill 2009, all fees and charges mentioned above will attract Service Tax @ 12% and Education Cess @ 3% of the service tax amount effective 24th February 2009.
If you wish to know more about Account Statements or want to know its status if requested, please call up PhoneBanking or write to us with full details viz. date of request, mode of request and period of request.
How can you transfer your Savings Account from one branch to another?
Following are the essential documents required to transfer your account from one branch to another:
- An account transfer form, signed by all applicants, given at any of our branches. We recommend that you submit the form at the branch that you want your account transferred to.
- The unused Cheque leaves for your existing account.
- Proof of your mailing address to which all correspondence related to the new account will be sent.
Kindly submit any of the following documents as proof of your new address:
- Driving license
- Telephone bill
- Electricity bill
- Bank account statement
- Ration card
- Voters ID (if it has address)
- Letter from the society (only registered societies) on the letterhead which carries the society's Registration No. The letter should carry the applicant's name and full address, as well as the signatory’s full name, designation (Secretary, President) and address.
- Monthly outgoings bill from registered housing society on the letterhead which carries the society's registration no. (Maintenance charges receipts issued by the society are NOT acceptable).
- Registration documents/ownership proof copy
- Lease deed/rent agreement copy
- Senior citizens card from Indian Railways/Indian Airlines (if it has address)
- Mobile postpaid bill
As soon as we receive the form and the supporting documents, after verification, your existing account will be closed and a new account will be opened. An average monthly balance (AMB) as applicable for new accounts opened, effective March 01, 2009, will have to be maintained in your account at all times.
Read more about AMB here.
You may continue to access your new account with your existing NetBanking/PhoneBanking passwords. Your existing ATM/Debit card will be linked to your new account. However, if you are availing any of facilities like auto debit facility, mutual funds SIP, credit card, ECSStands for Electronic Clearing Service. It is a mode by which funds are automatically debited to your account every month to pay or a certain bill or fee. It helps so you don’t have to remember every month to pay your regular bills. It is only done after a standing instruction is given by the account holder., loans, etc., and in case the same are linked to your existing account, we request you to contact the respective authorities/service providers to link these facilities to the new account.
The cheque book for your new account will be reaching you at your mailing address as The cheque book for your new account will be reaching you at your mailing address as mentioned in your documents/registered in our records by courier within a maximum of 5 days based, on your address location, from the day your account is opened with us.
For more details,
To change your mobile number in our records, please refer to the procedure given below:
Update your Contact Details
Please submit your requirement at the nearest branch in a written letter, duly signed by all account holders. In case you are unable to visit the branch, you can send the letter by postal service or courier. We trust you will appreciate that this is to protect your interests. For more details, Contact Us
Update contact details in InstaAlerts facility
Kindly follow the steps mentioned below to update your mobile number for the InstaAlert facility through NetBanking:
- Log in to your NetBanking account and click on "InstaAlerts" option located at the top of the web page
- Click on Unsubscribe Alerts on the left hand pane of the web page
- Check the SMS option and select Continue
- Click on Confirm
- Click on Subscribe for Alerts on the left hand pane of the web page
- Check the SMS option and enter your new mobile number
- Click on Continue and Confirm
- Go to Manage Alerts and select the required alert types
Update contact details in MobileBanking/ InstaQuery facility Kindly follow the steps mentioned below to update your mobile number for the InstaQuery facility through NetBanking:
- Log in to NetBanking with your Customer Identification Number and NetBanking Password (IPIN).
- Click on InstaQuery Registration on the top right hand corner
- Select De-register for InstaQuery from the left hand side menu
- From the list shown, select the mobile number that needs to be de-registered
- Click on Continue
- Select Confirm
- Your InstaQuery de-registration request will be processed online
- Subsequently, you need to re-register for InstaQuery on the new number as below:
- Log in to NetBanking with your Customer Identification Number and NetBanking Password (IPIN)
- Click on InstaQuery Registration on the top right hand corner
- Select Subscribe for InstaQuery from the left hand side menu
- Choose your Account Number from the list of all accounts linked to your Customer Identification Number as shown to you (all the account level transactions will be effective for the Primary Account selected by you at the time of registration. The primary account can be changed at a later date, whenever required, to use the 'Change Primary Account' facility in InstaQuery).
- Provide your 10 digit mobile number along with the country code. Note that all Reliance CDMA customers need to provide 10 digit mobile number only, without the country code
- Click on the Check box which states 'I accept Terms and Conditions'
- Click on Confirm. Your request will be processed online
Alternatively, please submit the E-age banking form to the branch to avail of the InstaQuery facility. Please check for the availability of the service with your cellular service provider. For more details regarding InstaQuery, please click here
Update Secure Access
Please submit a duly signed request at the nearest branch to change your telephone numbers. For more details, Contact Us.
Update your Residential (land line number) To change your residential number in our records, we request you to follow the steps mentioned below:
- Log into Netbanking
- Click on My Contact Details and Scroll down
- Enter the new number in Phone# (residential) column
- Click on Continue
- Your contact details will be displayed
- Click on Confirm
For more details, Contact Us.