Regular Savings Account
A savings account designed to meet your day to day banking needs while giving you 24X7 access to your bank.
Apply now for an HDFC Bank Regular Savings Account.
- Wide network of branches and ATMs to meet all your banking needs, no matter where you are located
- Select from our range of International Debit cards as per your needs and avail a range of benefits
- Take advantage of exclusive discounts & offers through our online shopping portal offers.smartbuy.hdfcbank.com
- Use NetBanking, BillPay, PhoneBanking and MobileBanking for all your banking needs
- Annual Maintenance Charge (AMC) waived off for the first year for the first new Demat account
- Avail of facilities like Safe Deposit Lockers, Sweep-In and Super Saver facilities on your Regular Savings Account
Looking for NRI Savings Account ? Click Here
Compare Regular Savings Account
Compare and see which account suits you perfectly.
Average Monthly Balance Calculator
Click here to calculate the Average Monthly Balance (AMB) required to be maintained in your account.
What are the features and benefits of a Regular Savings Account?
You will get some exclusive features and benefits with your HDFC Bank Regular Saving Account
- Wide network of branches and over 11000 ATMs to meet all your banking needs, no matter where you are located.
- Bank conveniently with facilities like NetBanking, PhoneBanking and MobileBanking – check your account balance, pay utility bills or stop cheque payments all via SMS.
- Never overspend – shop using your International Debit Card that reflects the actual balance in your savings account.
- Personalised cheques with your name printed on each cheque leaf for enhanced security.
- Take advantage of BillPay – an instant solution so you can pay all your frequent utility bill payments. Instruct for payments over the phone or through the Internet.
- Avail of facilities like Safe Deposit Lockers, Sweep-In and Super Saver facilities on your account.
- Free cash withdrawals at any other Bank's ATMs*
- Free Payable-at-ParThis means you only have to pay the amount written on the cheque and not the service charges that might otherwise be charged to you, especially when you send a cheque to someone out of your city or country. chequebook, without any usage charges.
- Free passbook facility for all account holders (individuals)
- Free Email Statement facility.
* Conditions Apply
What are the eligibility criteria to open a Regular Savings Account?
Get details on eligibility criteria & documents required for HDFC Bank Regular Savings Account
A Regular Savings Account is for anyone who is a:
- A resident individual (sole or joint account)
- A Hindu undivided family
- A foreign national
If you are a foreign national, you have to be residing in India for a period greater than 180 days and you have to provide us with:
- A valid passport
- A valid Visa
- FRRO (Foreign Regional Registration Office) Certificate
- Residential permit
Minimum Balance Requirement
- A minimum deposit of Rs. 10,000 (metro/urban branches), Rs. 5000 (semi-urban/rural branches) is required to open an account and thereafter an average monthly balance of the same amount has to be maintained.
- Please note: It is mandatory to maintain a minimum average monthly balance (AMB) of Rs. 10,000 (metro/urban branches), Rs. 5000 (semi-urban), Rs. 2500 AQBAverage Quarterly Balance (AQB) is the average balance to be maintained in the account over a period of a quarter. (rural branches). If the balance is not maintained, the following service charges will be levied:
|AMB Slabs |
|Metro & Urban||Semi Urban|
|AMB Requirement -Rs 10,000/-||AMB Requirement –Rs. 5,000/-|
|>=7,500 to < 10,000||Rs. 150/-||NA|
|>=5,000 to < 7,500||Rs. 300/-||NA|
|>=2,500 to < 5,000||Rs. 450/-||Rs. 150/-|
|0 to < 2,500||Rs. 600/-||Rs. 300/-|
AMB – Average Monthly Balance
|AQB Slabs (in Rs.)||Service Charges in case of Non-maintenance (in Rs.) per quarter *|
|>= 1000 < 2,500||Rs. 270/-|
|0 - <1000||Rs. 450/-|
AQB – Average Quarterly Balance
What are the fees and charges of Regular Savings Account ?
Enclosed below are HDFC Bank Regular Savings Account fees and charges
|Description of Charges||Regular Savings Account|
|Minimum Balance - Average Monthly Balance / Average quarterly balance (AMB)/ (AQB)||
Rs. 10,000 (Metro / Urban branches),
|Charges applicable on non-maintenance||
|Cheque book||Free - 25 cheque leaves per calendar quarter
Additional chequebook of 25 leaves will be charged @ Rs 75/- per chequebook
|PAP cheque book usage charges||No charges|
|Issue of duplicate/adhoc statements||Branch - Rs 100/-
PhoneBanking ( Non IVRInteractive voice response (IVR) is a technology that allows a computer to interact with humans through the use of voice and keypad inputs.) - Rs.75/-
NetBanking, Mobile Banking, PhoneBanking - IVRInteractive voice response (IVR) is a technology that allows a computer to interact with humans through the use of voice and keypad inputs. & ATM - Rs 50/-
For Senior Citizen
Branch - Rs 50/- per statement
• PhoneBanking ( Non IVRInteractive voice response (IVR) is a technology that allows a computer to interact with humans through the use of voice and keypad inputs.) - Rs.50/- per statement
• NetBanking , MobileBanking, PhoneBanking – IVRInteractive voice response (IVR) is a technology that allows a computer to interact with humans through the use of voice and keypad inputs. & ATM - Rs 30/- per statement
( w.e.f 1st July'13 )
|Duplicate passbook issuance*||Rs 100/-|
|Managers cheques/demand drafts- Issuance/re-issuance - At HDFC Bank locations||
|Managers cheque/demand drafts - Cancellation/revalidation||Rs. 50
Rs. 40 (senior citizens/individuals in rural areas)
( Nil charges for Managers cheque/demand drafts - Cancellation/revalidation up to Rs.100/-)
( w.e.f 1st July'13 )
|Demand drafts issued - At non HDFC Bank locations||
|Cheque collection - Local clearing zone||Free|
|Collection of outstation cheques - our bank locations||
|Collection of outstation cheques - Other locations||
|Cheque return charges drawn on us - Local||
|Cheques deposited returned unpaid||Charge of Rs 100/- per instance would be levied|
|Balance enquiry - At branch||Free|
|Balance certificate||Current year - Free; previous year - Rs. 50|
|Interest certificate||Rs. 50|
|Account closure||Upto 14 days - Nil
15 days upto 12 months - Rs 500/- ( Rs 300/- for Senior Citizens)
Beyond 12 months - Nil
( w.e.f 1st July'13 )
|Photo attestation||Rs 100/- per instance ( Nil for Senior Citizens )
( w.e.f 1st July'13 )
|Address confirmation||Rs 50/- per instance|
|Stop payment ( request from customer not to honour cheque issued ) charges||Particular cheque - Rs. 50 (Free through Phonebanking and NetBanking), range of cheques - Rs. 100 (free through Phonebanking and Net banking)|
|Standing instructions||Rs. 25 per transcation plus remittanceRemittance is any form of money transfer or payment done from one's working country to home country. Depending on the difference in currency rates and the amount to be transferred, the charges on remittance are also different. charge ( w.e.f 1st July'13 )|
|Unarranged overdraft||Rs. 100 per occasion + 18% interest pa|
|Old records/copy of paid cheques||Upto 1 year - Rs. 50 per record; above 1 year - Rs. 100 per record|
|Activation of dormant account||No charges|
|Branch transactions (Includes only Cheque deposit/Cheque issuance/Funds Transfer Debit/NEFT/RTGS)
(Charges over and above standard remittanceRemittance is any form of money transfer or payment done from one's working country to home country. Depending on the difference in currency rates and the amount to be transferred, the charges on remittance are also different. charges for Fund Transfer / NEFTThis stands for National Electronic Funds Transfer (NEFT). It is a system that facilitates an individual or company to electronically transfer funds from any bank branch to any individual or company having an account with any other bank branch in the country. / RTGSIt stands for Real Time Gross Settlement. It means that funds transfers happen immediately, in real time. Instructions are processed at the time they are received rather than later. 'Gross Settlement' means the settlement of funds transfers occur on an instruction by instruction basis. This is considering that the funds settlement take place in the books of the Reserve Bank of India, the payments are final and irrevocable. .Remittance charges applicable starting first transaction onwards)
|Cash transactions (Cash deposits & withdrawals) by self at home & Non-home branches
Value Cap will be applicable along with Number Cap on Cash Txns on Non Home branch
|Cash transactions (Cash deposits & withdrawals) by self at home & Non-home branches||
|Cash handling for cash deposit at home branch||For non-managed customers
- Cash deposit value upto Rs 1 lakh/day - No charge
- Above Rs 1 lakh - Rs 25/- per Rs 50,000 or part thereof.
Charge will be levied for the full amount.
|Third Party Transactions at Home & Non - Home branch||
|Local cheque deposited for outstation accounts||No charge|
|PhoneBanking - IVRInteractive voice response (IVR) is a technology that allows a computer to interact with humans through the use of voice and keypad inputs.||Free|
|PhoneBanking - Non IVRInteractive voice response (IVR) is a technology that allows a computer to interact with humans through the use of voice and keypad inputs.||
|ATM card - Replacement charges||Rs. 200 (plus taxes) (w.e.f 1st Dec'14)|
|Debit Card - Annual Fee - Regular||Rs.150 per year ( plus taxes )
|Debit Card - Annual Fee - Women's Card||Rs.150 per year (plus taxes)|
|Debit Card - Annual Fee – Platinum||Rs. 750 per year (plus taxes)|
|Debit Card - Renewal Fee – Platinum||Rs. 750 per year (plus taxes)|
|Debit Card - Renewal Fee - Regular||Rs. 150 per year (plus taxes)|
|Debit Card - Renewal Fee - Women's Card||Rs.150 per year (plus taxes)|
|Debit Card - Replacement charges||Replacement of a damaged card - No charges & Replacement of a lost card - Rs. 200 (plus taxes) (for all card types) (w.e.f 1st Dec'14)|
|ATM / Debit Card Card - Transaction Charge||
|Debit Card - Transaction charge - non HDFC Bank international ATMs||Rs. 15 per balance enquiry & Rs. 110 per cash withdrawal (plus taxes)
The Bank will charge cross-currency mark-up of 3.5% on foreign currency transactions carried out on Debit Cards. The exchange rate used will be the VISA/Master Card wholesale exchange rate prevailing at the time of transaction
|PIN regeneration charge||Rs. 50 (plus taxes)|
|Decline charge for insufficient balance||Transactions declined at other bank ATMs anywhere in the world or at a merchant outlet outside India due to insufficient funds will be charged at Rs. 25 per transaction (plus taxes)|
|Add-on debit card - Regular||Rs. 150 per year (plus taxes) - One add-on card free for the first year|
|Add-on debit card - Women's Card||Rs.150 per year (plus taxes)|
|BillPay||This service is free w.e.f 1st August'2011|
|InstaPay||Rs. 10 (plus taxes) per transaction|
|InstaAlert||Rs.15 per quarter, effective 1st April 2013 (excl of tax)
Customers who have selected only"Email" as the delivery channel for receiving InstaAlerts will not be charged
|Visa Money Transfer||Rs. 5 (plus taxes) per transaction|
|NEFT Charges - Inward||NIL|
|NEFT Charges- outward||
|NEFT Charges for Indo-Nepal transactions||Customers having NSBL*A/c - Rs 20/-
Customers having non-NSBL* A/c:
Upto Rs 5,000 - Rs 70/-
Above Rs 5,000 - Rs 95/-
* Nepal State Bank Ltd
|RTGS - Outward||RTGS - Outward:
Above Rs. 2 Lakh to 5 Lakh - Rs. 25 (exclusive of taxes) per transaction
Above Rs 5 Lakh - Rs. 50 (exclusive of taxes) per transaction
|RTGS - Inward||NIL|
|IMPS (Immediate Payment Service) – Outward
||Charges effective 15th May-15
|IMPS (Immediate Payment Service) - Inward||NIL|
|ECS (Debit) Return Charges||- Rs 350/- would be levied on first instance of ECSStands for Electronic Clearing Service. It is a mode by which funds are automatically debited to your account every month to pay or a certain bill or fee. It helps so you don’t have to remember every month to pay your regular bills. It is only done after a standing instruction is given by the account holder. return in a quarter.
- Rs 750/- would be levied, second instance onwards in the same quarter.
|Any deliverable returned by courier due to negative reasons (no such consignee/consignee shifted and no such address)||Rs 50/- per instance|
|TIN re-generation (requests received at the branch for physical dispatch)||Rs 50/- per instance|
|IPIN re-generation (requests received at the branch for physical dispatch)||Rs 100/- per instance|
|Standing Instruction rejects||Rs 200/- per instance|
Click here to view charges applicable effective 1st September 2013
*At home branch for account holders (individuals)
Note : Service/Transaction charges will be applied in the current month based on the AMB maintianed in the account in the previous month
Service/Transaction charges based on non - maintainence of AMB (as specified above) do not apply to Preferred , Corporate Salary & SuperSaver customers
The PhoneBanking charges will apply on transaction that are available on the IVRInteractive voice response (IVR) is a technology that allows a computer to interact with humans through the use of voice and keypad inputs. but are done through the PhoneBanking Executive
Effective 1st June 2015, all fees and charges, mentioned in the Tariff of charges, will attract Service Tax @14%.
Would you like to apply now for a Regular Savings Account?
To open a Regular Savings Account you just have to follow either of the two procedures mentioned below:
- Request one of our bank representatives to contact you.Click Here to fill in your contact details.
- Download an application form. Account Opening Form (Individuals) After you download the form, follow these steps:
- Print and complete the application form
- Submit the form and the required documents at any of our branches. Click here to find a branch near you.
For documents submitted at the branch, please give us a week to respond to your application.
What is the time taken to realize outstation cheques?
The indicative time taken for the realization of outstation cheques is given below:
- Cheques drawn where HDFC Bank has a branch, credit will be given on receipt of clear funds in:
- Main metro locations (Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata, New Delhi): 7 working days
- Metro centers and state capitals (other than those of North Eastern states and Sikkim): Maximum period of 10 working days.
- In all other centres where we have branches: maximum period of 14 working days.
- Cheques drawn on non-branch locations where we have a tie-up with correspondent banks, credit will be given on receipt of clear funds: Within a maximum period of 14 working days
- Cheques drawn on non-branch locations where we do not have a tie-up with correspondent banks, credit will be given on receipt of clear funds: Within a maximum period of 14 working days
How can you transfer your Savings Account from one branch to another?
Following is the process to be followed to transfer your account from one branch to another:
- An account transfer form, signed by all applicants, given at any of our branches. We recommend that you submit the form at the branch that you want your account transferred to.
- There will be no change in your account number. You can continue to use your existing chequebook, debit card etc
How can I change / update the address for my account?
We request you to follow the below steps to update /change your address.
What are the documents required to open a New Savings Account?
In order to open a new Savings Account, simply walk into the nearest HDFC Bank and speak to a customer service executive. Remember to carry the following documents (original for verification and self-attested copies for submission):
- Identity Proof
- Address Proof
- Latest passport size photographs
What is the rate of interest I will earn on the balance in my Savings Account?
Interest on a Savings Account is paid at 4.00% p.a. on a daily end of day balance, w.e.f. May 3, 2011.